WP Plugin: Official Comments

Filed under: Blogging,Coding,Software,WordPress Plugins — Brett @ January 12, 2005 8:23 pm

I just whipped up a quick WordPress 1.2/1.5/2.0 plugin that allows you to distinguish comments made by WordPress users. It also will automatically approve comments made by WP users.

Current Version: 1.1

How It Works:
When the page is rendered, that User ID is called up by the plugin functions, which you can use to change text, change CSS class, add images, whatever your imagination desires.

Installation
Either:

How to implement:
Simply add this somewhere within the Comments loop in wp-comments.php and/or wp-comments-popup.php:

<?php if(is_wpuser_comment() != 0) {echo "Official ";} ?>

Or get tricky and add a CSS Class to the LI:

<li class="comment <?php echo (is_wpuser_comment() ? ' commentOfficialUser' : ''); ?>" id="comment-&lt?php comment_ID() ?>">

and this very basic css example:

.commentOfficialUser { border: 1px solid black; background-color: #999999 }

Documentation
View Official Comments Readme.txt

Examples
There is a very basic example on this post, but more exciting examples available at Webfroot.

Known Issues

Bugs and Suggestions
Any bugs or suggestions, please email me — email link in the sidebar (RSS readers: drop by the site ;) ).

159 Comments

• [...] Blogs Hacking   I just whipped up my first public WordPress plugin, called Official Comments. It helps you display comments made by logged-in WordPre [...]

#1: Pingback by Webfroot » Official Comments plugin — January 12, 2005 @ 9:07 am

• [...] h all of the cool plugins people make for them. I was reading on inner.geek.nz about a new wordpress comments plugin that Glutnix (aka Brett Taylor) has made. As qui [...]

#2: Pingback by Geekpulp » Gotta love the plugins — January 13, 2005 @ 9:17 pm

• [...] riting the original functionality – he deserves full credit! Oh and by the way, our Official Comments plugin is also now one-click install compatible! [...]

#3: Pingback by Webfroot » WordPress Plugin: Smart Unread Comments — February 11, 2005 @ 8:11 am

• This is a Non-Official Comment

#4: Comment by Glutnix — January 12, 2005 @ 8:32 pm

• This is an Official Comment!

#5: Comment by Glutnix — January 12, 2005 @ 8:32 pm

• Hey looks great :) , i have to try it. Sorry for my english, i’m spanish ;)

#6: Comment by superporcel — January 13, 2005 @ 2:08 am

• Official Comments
    Official Comments es un plugin para WordPress, creado por Brett Taylor, que distingue los comentarios hechos por personas registradas en nuestro blog, dandole un aspecto diferente a ese comentario.

La verdad no sirve de mucho si no permitimos que la…

#7: Trackback by superporcel — January 13, 2005 @ 2:15 am

• Gotta love the plugins
    One of the best things about having a wordpress blog is getting to play with all of the cool plugins people make for them. I was reading on inner.geek.nz about a new wordpress comments plugin that Glutnix (aka Brett Taylor) has made. As quite rightly …

#8: Trackback by Geekpulp — January 14, 2005 @ 9:26 am

• hiya. was wondering if this works with the Spam Karma plugin (or any other anti-spam plugins) since i saw this line in your code:

$approved = 1; // change to 0 to put WP user’s comments in the comment moderation queue.

#9: Comment by tec — January 28, 2005 @ 4:36 am

• Tec, Sorry I don’t know, because I’ve never used the Spam Karma plugin. Best to try it and tell the world if it doesn’t…

#10: Comment by Glutnix — January 28, 2005 @ 7:51 am

• Yup, it works with Spam Karma too :)

#11: Comment by Brett — February 16, 2005 @ 9:29 pm

• [...] , and it’s totally free. I’ve already added several plugins: Spell Checking Official Comments Plugin Manager and I turned Markdown on The next tasks [...]

#12: Pingback by m » Blog Archive » WordPress First Impressions — February 17, 2005 @ 4:23 am

• [...]

WP Plugin: Official Comments
    I’m thinking of adding this plugin (WP Plugin: Official Comments, by Brentt Taylor) to my site. I’m also [...]

#13: Pingback by Williams Blog » WP Plugin: Official Comments — February 21, 2005 @ 1:10 am

• I always have terrible trouble with comment-related plugins that require me to put some line in the comment loop; I can never seem to find the right spot. Can anyone tell me where I should put the php line in my comments loop? I haven’t modified anything much, and I’d be very grateful. Thanks!

#14: Comment by Willful Exposé — February 22, 2005 @ 1:38 pm

• If you’re changing the class, you put the php code inside the class attribute of the li tag
    eg in bold: <li class="<?php echo $oddcomment; ?><?php echo (is_wpuser_comment() ? ' commentOfficialUser' : ''); ?>" id="comment-<?php comment_ID() ?>">
    Of course, my blogware is applying true quotes to stuff inside <code>, so make sure you don’t just copy/paste from here.

#15: Comment by Brett — February 22, 2005 @ 3:22 pm

• let me be ur valentine

#16: Comment by Glutnix — February 28, 2005 @ 11:47 am

• You see, my plugin prevents that kind of attempt :)

#17: Comment by Brett — February 28, 2005 @ 12:18 pm

• I love the way it works, but actions speak louder than words: It’s installed in my favorite skins.

#18: Comment by Willful Expose' — March 8, 2005 @ 11:02 am

• WordPress Plugins

I’ve finally got around to doing a list of the plugins I’ve installed for WordPress.

The WordPress Plugin Database, with a full list of WordPress Plugins can be found here.

I personally had no problem installing any of them, so if you have had …

#19: Trackback by Philosophy Of — March 10, 2005 @ 10:03 am

• [...] ¨ãŒã§ãã‚‹ã€‚昇格したコメントは昇格した時間順にリストされる。 Official Comments – オフィシャルコメント (ダウロード)( [...]

#20: Pingback by Standing Tall » Blog Archive » WordPress プラグイン一覧追加情報(8) — March 10, 2005 @ 7:27 pm

• wheres the alignment for the image in your official comments??

#21: Comment by Ennis — April 7, 2005 @ 9:46 am

• I have used your plugin, thanks its great.
    One small question. how would i code in the css to have the word “Says” in white when and only when i the administrator makes a comment.
    Its in this line of the comments.php
    [code]" id="comment-&lt?php comment_ID() ?>">
    "> Says: [/code]

#22: Comment by Ennis — April 7, 2005 @ 11:00 am

• I can’t seem to get this plug-in working. I’ve done the one-click install and am trying to find exactly where to put the code in to make this work. I’m assuming this is the code to be using:

I’m using the WP 1.5 “default” theme and I’m assuming that in the admin panel, going into “Presentation > Theme Editor > Comments Template (or Pop-Up Comments Template)” is where I’m supposed to be. I can’t seem to find where to stick the code. Admittedly, I’m new to WordPress and am not sure where to stick this code.

Could somebody let me know if I’m looking in the right files, and if so, help me find the right place to stick this in.

#23: Comment by Mark — April 11, 2005 @ 9:29 am

• You could add the user’s name to the name of the class, eg .OfficialCommentAdmin { } which would look more like this:

<li class="<?php echo (is_wpuser_comment() ? ' CommentOfficial'.comment_wpusername() : ''); ?>" id=”comment-">

This would work with anyone’s username, and you could set up a different class for each user. Of course, this is assuming there are no spaces in any of your usernames.

#24: Comment by Brett — May 3, 2005 @ 8:35 am

• First, put a space between alt and admin-comments, and both .alt and .admin-comments will be applied.

If still .admin-comments is being overridden by .alt, then you’ll want to make .admin-comments more specific. A quick fire way to do this is

html .admin-comments { ... }

But you could just try specifying a tag somewhere between html and the li, and it might achieve the same thing.

#25: Comment by Brett — May 4, 2005 @ 8:11 am

• completley unrelated, I apologize.
    I’m trying to figure out how to get comments allways shown as they are here on this page… and unlike this page for example: http://binarybonsai.com/playground/
    where you see none of the comments.
    thanks so much
    joshua

#26: Comment by swim — May 5, 2005 @ 6:35 pm

• swim: If you note that the comments page for that post is: http://binarybonsai.com/playground/index.php?p=1#comments

And note how index.php suddenly comes into view. That means that http://binarybonsai.com/playground/ is a the root page of the blog.

If you want your WP blog’s root page to show comments for that post, that’s a very good question… I dunno how I’d do that… Maybe you’d need some kind of plugin that would redirect to the latest post’s permalink?

#27: Comment by Brett — May 5, 2005 @ 8:50 pm

• Trying to impliment this into my friend’s blog site I put up for her, but it’s not working. Maybe I’m not putting it in the right section. I wanna impliment the CSS version you have. Any tips on where I should input it into this bit of code:

to “”

" title="Visit ">
    comment_author_email); ?>" alt="Get your own gravatar at gravatar.com" class="gravatar" />

"> " title="Visit ">

" title=""># ,

#28: Comment by BeerLuver — May 9, 2005 @ 6:21 am

• Crap that didn’t work heh…. here’s the code saved in a txt file:

Could ya take a look at that and fill me in on where you think I should put the code for this to work? Thanks in advance if you can ;)

#29: Comment by BeerLuver — May 9, 2005 @ 6:26 am

• BeerLuver: I took a look at your comments code, and it doesn’t look like you’re putting your comments in s… You need to make sure you’re generating valid XHTML, which it doesn’t look like you are..
    Here’s what I’m doing here on inner.geek: http://inner.geek.nz/images/comments.phps

KarlBedingfield: I’ll assume that those three things you have there are the usernames of the users on your blog. I’ll also assume each comment in it’s own <li></li>. Here’s what you want:

<li class="<?php echo $oddcomment; ?> <?php if(is_wpuser_comment() != 0) { echo " officialUserComment OfficialUser_".comment_wpusername(); } ?>" id="comment-<?php comment_ID() ?>">

So, that will generate something like this:

<li class="alt officialUserComment officialUser_kb" id="comment-1234">

All three classes will get applied to the li. So to style them, you can create classes like this:

.officialUserComment {...}
    li.officialUser_kb {...}
    li.officialUser_jg {...}
    li.officialUser_cc {...}

.officialUserComment would probably have everything that would be the same across the official user classes, and then you might just change the background color for each user.

Hope that helps!

#30: Comment by Brett — May 10, 2005 @ 9:37 am

• Don’t know, can’t read your code; it got munged when you submitted it… — you’ll need to either properly turn all < into &lt; and the same with > and &gt;… OR post a link a text file containing your source hosted somewhere…

a .phps (php source) file is good if your server supports PHP — mmm formatted text… for example: http://inner.geek.nz/images/comments.phps

#31: Comment by Brett — May 10, 2005 @ 10:27 pm

• OR I could just scroll up, look at my code and see that there’s an extra if( in it… i’ve updated my comment, use the code from there… o_O;

#32: Comment by Brett — May 10, 2005 @ 10:29 pm

• Great plugin! Just wondering if there was a way to specify a generic image for non-registered users/commenters?

#33: Comment by beej — May 15, 2005 @ 7:19 pm

• Beej, write css for normal comments that displays an image, and then write css for the official comment that overrides the normal comment.

#34: Comment by Brett — May 16, 2005 @ 12:00 pm

• [...] ecimales y ASCII. Útil para evitar bots en busca de direcciones de correo que spamear. [...]

#35: Pingback by empdesign » Blog Archive » Plugins Wp — May 17, 2005 @ 4:50 am

• Nice plugin, thanks. May i offer 3 improvement suggestions? First, instead of pre-aproving all users’ comments, you could make it aprove comments by users with a level greater than X and/or with id numbers Y and Z (and make that configurable in an option in the admin area). Second, there could be a way to have a separate class for each user based on his id and/or level number on the blog, that would make the comments appearence even more cofigurable. Third, isn’t there a way to mark old comments too?
    Weel, i’m full of ideas but i know zero PHP, so i’m left with suggesting…

#36: Comment by eduardo — May 18, 2005 @ 5:28 am

• Hi there,

I am back again.

I just noticed that all my non-admin comment posts are showing up as ‘alt’

Is there anything wrong in the code you very kindly supplied me?

Here is is: http://phpfi.com/62371

Thanks
    Karl

#37: Comment by Karl Bedingfield — May 19, 2005 @ 5:29 am

• Unrelated to my code, but it’ seems to be this code:
    <?php /* Changes every other comment to a different class */
    if ('alt' == $oddcomment) $oddcomment = '';
    else $oddcomment = 'alt ';
    ?>

if ('alt' == needs to be if 'alt ' ==, it needs that space.

#38: Comment by Brett — May 19, 2005 @ 7:19 pm

• OOPs sorry to trouble you and thanks for the heads up :)

#39: Comment by Karl Bedingfield — May 19, 2005 @ 11:22 pm

• [...] al. Paged Comment Editing – Makes reading all the comments in the admin area a bit easier. Official Comments – It turns out that a lot of people are called ‘Jam [...]

#40: Pingback by James Turnbull’s shreddies.org » Blog Archive » Wordpress Plugins — May 26, 2005 @ 9:45 am

• Hi! I loved this plugin and really would like to use it, but I’m having a bit of trouble. My default comments already have a specific css, so when the author comment css is added it doesn’t show.

Is there any way to set the code so when it’s a comment of mine it shows, for example, a blue background (like class=autorcomment), and someone else’s comment (class=visitorcomment) a green background?
    Thanks!

#41: Comment by Marya — May 30, 2005 @ 3:36 pm

• Marya, what I would do is make your .authorcomment more specific, by tacking html in front of it:

html .authorcomment {...}

That way, it will override the .visitorcomment

#42: Comment by Brett — May 30, 2005 @ 5:33 pm

• Thanks for your help Brett! I managed to have the author highlight colors to show up, but still they mix with the default colours of the comment, since the html for the official comment is like this:

Is there any way to show only

when it’s an official comment, and only

when it’s a visitor comment? I believe I’ve seen a coding like this before, but still haven’t found out a way to “separate” both css…
    Thanks again!

#43: Comment by Marya — May 31, 2005 @ 4:41 pm

• I’m sorry, the coding didn’t show up… They were supposed to look like this:

#44: Comment by Marya — May 31, 2005 @ 4:44 pm

• Yeah, HTML is stripped unless it’s a safe tag as mentioned above the comment box. Convert your angle brackets to < and >, and put it all in a <code></code> tag and then submit it as a comment, then we can communicate.

Alternatively, feel free to contact me via email or an instant messaging system — details on the Contact Me page.

#45: Comment by Brett — May 31, 2005 @ 10:17 pm

• Brett, I don’t know about anyone else but your ‘known issue’ (the plugin only working on posts after it’s installed) hasn’t affected me- I just installed it and its working for all my previous posts.

#46: Comment by David Russell — June 6, 2005 @ 9:38 am

• [...]

It’s just a try. How do you like this one? I also added a few plugins: Official Comments PhotoPress plugin Theme Switcher WP ShortStat Man, [...]

#47: Pingback by stream of thoughts » themes — June 10, 2005 @ 8:26 am

• I have used your plugin, thanks its great.
    Greetings form Koszalin in Poland :)

#48: Comment by Peter / savek — June 13, 2005 @ 4:54 am

• Nice work. Please keep them coming.

#49: Comment by Koen — June 29, 2005 @ 2:28 pm

• [...] r. – IP til land – greit Ã¥ kunne bruke til Ã¥ vise flagg fra hvor leseren befinner seg. – Offisiell kommentering – Noe sÃ¥nt kunne vært brukt for kommentarer av fra [...]

#50: Pingback by Ensporet planleggingsblogg » Blog Archive » Publiseringssystem — July 11, 2005 @ 10:54 pm

• I like the easy-to-use interface a lot. I wished that was standard in modern-day software.

#51: Comment by Carmiggelt — July 15, 2005 @ 11:42 am

• Great plugin, thanks.

Anyone got any ideas on how you might change a previous comment to an ‘official comment’ without deleting it and posting it again (needs to stay in sequence).

#52: Comment by John Pope — July 15, 2005 @ 7:09 pm

• I’m having a little trouble getting this installed…I don’t seem to have wp-comments.php or wp-comments-popup.php. I have wp-comments-post.php though. Is that where the code is supposed to go? If it is, where exactly do I put the code? It’s quite confusing for me, I don’t know php and all and I’d hate to go in blind and screw something up. I’m using 1.5.1.3. Thanks.

#53: Comment by Steph — July 18, 2005 @ 1:53 pm

• You will have those files, but they are not in your WordPress directory. They are stored in your theme directory (e.g. if you are using the default Kubrick theme, /wp_content/themes/default/), and you can get in to edit them via Presentation–> Theme Editor (or you could download the files via FTP, and make the changes with a text editor, which is often easier due to search + replace etc. which the Theme Editor doesn’t have)

#54: Comment by David Russell — July 18, 2005 @ 11:29 pm

• Well I added it right under the in the comments.php file for my theme and added the class to the css…still isn’t working for me. :\ Am I supposed to put it somewhere else or is there something else I need to do? I know it’s activated.

#55: Comment by Steph — July 19, 2005 @ 11:24 am

• [...] he left). Removed several plugins that no longer used and install some new ones, like: Official Comments – give different style to admin’s comment (me) Pag [...]

#56: Pingback by My Other Side of the Stories » Several Changes Here — August 16, 2005 @ 6:18 am

• [...] . Paged Comment Editing – Makes reading all the comments in the admin area a bit easier. Official Comments – It turns out that a lot of people are called ‘Jam [...]

#57: Pingback by James Turnbull’s shreddies.org » Blog Archive » Wordpress Plugins — August 17, 2005 @ 1:13 am

• [...] d be useful for people who are using the Footnotes Plugin. I also installed a fourth, the Official Comments plugin. It isn’t doing much yet, but it will. All of thes [...]

#58: Pingback by sw’as » Spate of plugin installations — August 23, 2005 @ 4:17 pm

• Hi Brett

I just tried to doownload your plugin, but it wouldn’t work: it seems that your .zip file is in fact a GIF image, or something? I’d be really grateful if you could check that out since this plugin looks like something I need!

Richard

#59: Comment by Richard Flynn — August 26, 2005 @ 6:05 pm

• sorry to pop in just to leave a thanks but man do I feel dirty as the time passes and I don’t.

>THANKS

#60: Comment by Jason — September 15, 2005 @ 7:46 am

• [...] ay Attention to Directories

I was having problems formatting the Official Comments code and asked The P [...]

#61: Pingback by educe me » Pay Attention to Directories — September 18, 2005 @ 1:31 pm

• [...] e people knew kinda who I was! So when I get home and discover that Molly and Tantek have left such generous comments that I have a grin from ear-to-ear, how am I su [...]

#62: Pingback by inner.geek » Blog Archive » Web Surrentials ‘05 — October 2, 2005 @ 10:44 pm

• [...] ilies 8. Smiley Javascript Buttons 9. Dunstan’s Time Since 10. WP Admin Bar 2 11. Offical Comments   Leave a R [...]

#63: Pingback by mimiwu.com » Latest Upgrades for Mimiwu — October 3, 2005 @ 8:25 am

#64: Pingback by mimiwu.com » Latest Upgrades for Mimiwu — October 3, 2005 @ 8:25 am

• [...] sie überladen wird. Hat zwar auch einige Nachteile, aber damit kann man klarkommen. offical comment: Mit diesem Plugin wird der Besitzer des Blogs besonders he [...]

#65: Pingback by Xrossblog » Blog Archive » Plugins in Xrossblog #1 — October 3, 2005 @ 10:03 am

• [...] #8217;t browsable except through category archives. Also, I installed a new plugin today: Official Comments. A very simple plugin adding a couple of f [...]

#66: Pingback by Yay, a Search Box: Mike Mertsock — October 7, 2005 @ 5:49 pm

• Nice plugin, but doesn’t validate XHTML :(

#67: Comment by Oscar — October 20, 2005 @ 6:12 pm

• Great little plugin, exactly what I was looking for!

#68: Comment by dave — October 25, 2005 @ 2:50 am

• [...] by Chris at 10:52 pm on Monday, November 7, 2005

I installed Brett Taylor’s Official Comments plugin today: two thumbs up. This ve [...]

#69: Pingback by The English Factory » Hacking the Official Comments Plugin — November 8, 2005 @ 5:53 pm

• [...] by Chris at 10:52 pm on Monday, November 7, 2005

#70: Pingback by The English Factory » Official Comments Plugin — November 8, 2005 @ 6:01 pm

• [...] mit Hilfe des Kommentarplugins zB eine andere Hintergrundfarbe verwendet werden. Plugin: Official Comments von inner.geek Verwendung: In das Kommentartemplate an d [...]

#71: Pingback by Basic Thinking Blog » WP Plugin: Official Comments — November 10, 2005 @ 4:34 am

• [...] n nutzt, beschreibe dem User das Vorgehen etwas genauer als ich es bisher getan habe. 12. Official Comments: Markiert einen Kommentar mit einer alternativen Farbe, w [...]

#72: Pingback by Basic Thinking Blog » Wordpress Plugins (Update 1) — November 12, 2005 @ 9:31 pm

• [...] Chris at 9:38 pm on Thursday, November 17, 2005

#73: Pingback by The English Factory » Official Comments Plugin — November 18, 2005 @ 4:42 pm

• [...] layed tracks from last.fm Google sitemaps — Generate XML files for google sitemaps Official comments — Lets you do stuff if a comment has been posted by [...]

#74: Pingback by MD87.co.uk » Blog Archive » Wordpress plugins — December 7, 2005 @ 11:54 pm

• Hello,

you really have to help me. I get an error if someone write a comment ony my entries. I post the PHP thing in wp-comments-post.php because I haven’t a wp-comments.php or wp-comments-popup.php. Please help me! Where I have to put the code now? I don’t get that :/

Best Regards,
    Leichenschrei

#75: Comment by Leichenschrei — December 17, 2005 @ 6:05 am

• [...] io para enviar un enlace de un post específico mediante correo electrónico a un conocido. Official Comments – Permite destacar los comentarios que re [...]

#76: Pingback by El Documentalista Enredado » Algunos buenos plugins de Wordpress — December 23, 2005 @ 12:52 am

• [...] Trackbacks appear not to work too well, and I’ve found an awesome plug which is supposed to make registered users’ comments show up in special ways. Official comments. Well it mostly works but for some people the blue backgrounds aren’t showing up, tt’s driving me a little insane trying to sort it all out. Ah well life goes on. Should be good once it’s working properly. And another thing, why does this page look so different when you load it in Internet Explorer rather than Firefox? I never will understand why they show different pages differently. I’m doing my best to make this site compatible with eeverything, but .. gah. I really should be writing that english essay… [...]

#77: Pingback by jk-digital.com » Blog Archive » New year and more — January 2, 2006 @ 8:47 am

• [...] Official Comments [...]

#78: Pingback by Testing Old WP Plugins I Like at CoffeeBear Dev Blog — January 10, 2006 @ 1:22 pm

• Hi! Does this plugin works in WordPress 2.0?

#79: Comment by Tecfolio — January 14, 2006 @ 3:04 pm

• i like this site and author! respect!

#80: Comment by Fakyr — January 15, 2006 @ 8:47 am

• How would i Display on image (avatar) for Offical comment, and Another for UnofficialComments.

I dont think im inserting the code correctly due to my Offical comments are not Appearing any different than those of unoffical ones

#81: Comment by Marshall — January 23, 2006 @ 9:31 am

• [...] Highlight your comments – so they stand out from all other commentors’ comments. We use this on IdolBlog, which was built using Drupal. It helps when you’re clarifying issues, responding to questions, or stepping in to calm down a discussion. It helps others to scan through the pile of comments too. Here’s a WordPress plugin which will do this for you. [...]

#82: Pingback by Improving the readability of large numbers of comments — cre8d design blog — January 28, 2006 @ 4:10 pm

• [...] Um nun noch die Autorenkommentare hervorzuheben bedarf es erstmal der Installation des Plugins: Official Comments von Brett Taylor. Wir modifizieren nun unseren eben geschriebenen Code in der comments.php: [...]

#83: Pingback by Blog und Forumfusion - die Kommentarfunktion aufmotzen » Webdesignblog — February 6, 2006 @ 5:39 am

• Just installed with WP 2.0 and all seems well. The docs, however, only mention WP 1.5. Has anyone else tested this? Thanks.

#84: Comment by Bill Berry — February 12, 2006 @ 6:41 pm

• Hmm could anyone provide a quick guide on how to do it in WP2.0?
    Looks like a great plugin!

#85: Comment by TJ — February 14, 2006 @ 12:10 pm

• [...] Official Comments ar trebui să eticheteze cumva comentariile pe care le fac eu. Cred că de acum încolo, pentru că eu nu am observat încă nimic. [...]

#86: Pingback by diavolul e tot acolo » Modificări în funcÅ£ionalitate — February 26, 2006 @ 12:35 pm

• Your plugin is very good and i downloaded and install it, but i´m having some problems with the “alt” in comments, they are strange, a
    i dont know, but i think i put the code in the wrong place.
    can you help me?

#87: Comment by Roberlan — March 25, 2006 @ 4:12 am

• It only works with official comments made after the point of installation, as WordPress doesn’t automatically add the WP user ids to the comments field it already has.

what does this really mean?

im a bit confused. yay!

#88: Comment by Laarni — March 27, 2006 @ 5:22 pm

• Really good plugin!

#89: Comment by Furius Angel — April 8, 2006 @ 5:40 pm

• Gravatar / Official Comments Hack

Ich hab diverse Stunden damit verbracht eine Lösung zu finden, wie man die beiden Kommentar-Plugins Gravatars und Official Comments korrekt in der comments.php ausgeben kann, bis ich dann mit mal minimalen PHP-Kenntnisse spielen lassen habe.

Standa…

#90: Trackback by Gizcore Laboratories — April 30, 2006 @ 2:07 am

• Hey it looks like a really good plugin, but sorry the download link is broken. :S Just so you know.

#91: Comment by Ellie — June 13, 2006 @ 11:12 pm

• Can’t download this plugin.
    Firefox can't find the server at downloads.webfroot.co.nz.
    any mirror ?
    where I can found this plugin ?

#92: Comment by Gold_Hunter — June 14, 2006 @ 3:13 am

• Hi

The plugin sounds good but the download link is broken. Is there any chance you can take a look so I can try the plugin out

Thanks in advance

#93: Comment by ben — June 15, 2006 @ 8:26 pm

• Wanted to download the plugin, but it can’t be found. Just thought you should know the link is bad.

#94: Comment by Mike — June 20, 2006 @ 6:48 pm

• I couldn’t download the plugin too. All mirror download to it are also down :(

#95: Comment by Adam Betts — June 21, 2006 @ 6:26 am

• [...] Jeszcze tylko kilka szybkich newsów bez skÅ‚adu i Å‚adu: Wtyczka Official Comments zainstalowana w moim WordPress. WpadÅ‚o kilka nowych pÅ‚yt i jeszcze wiÄ™cej poleciaÅ‚o na allegro, ale już pomaÅ‚u docieram siÄ™ ze stylem uk/us garage, disko/funky house, tak chyba można by to okreÅ›lić. O czym ja tu jeszcze miaÅ‚em… a tak! w tygodniu możliwe, że zaczyna nowÄ… pracÄ™… I smutny news na koniec, toto cafe jest likwidowana – choć to już nie ten klimat co kiedyÅ›, tylko maÅ‚a cześć osób ze straej ekipy siÄ™ ostaÅ‚a… to jednak szkoda, no coż nic nigdy nie trwa wiecznie… [...]

#96: Pingback by savek blog » Archiwum bloga » Kolejny miÅ‚y dzien :) — June 21, 2006 @ 9:57 am

• I’m unable to download Official Comments plugin as well. All mirror download to it are also down :(

#97: Comment by Adam Betts — June 22, 2006 @ 7:21 am

• Brickred is leading Offshore Software Development Outsourcing

#98: Comment by Software Outsourcing — June 28, 2006 @ 12:47 am

• Crimsonlink is leading Bug Tracking Software Issue Tracking Software Defect Tracking Software

#99: Comment by Issue Tracking Software — June 28, 2006 @ 1:54 am

• To download, try : http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwp-plugins.net%2Fplugin%2Fofficial-comments%2F&ei=UIqhRJHTLNC8wgH349TmCg&sig2=vK2hYQI8VDbijlxX0AlcFg

#100: Comment by koz — June 28, 2006 @ 7:43 am

• [...] Um das Wiederkennungsgefühl von Autorenkommentaren zu stärken, haben wir heute das “Official Comments” -Plugin installiert. Nach einer kleinen Anpassung der Hintergrundgrafik und einem großen Haufen Flüche (”Ich kann nun mal kein CSS”) werden Kommentare mit Hilfe eines selbsterstellten Hintergrund gesondert darstellt. Tags: Misc [...]

#101: Pingback by Epstacy » WP Plugin: Official Comments — June 28, 2006 @ 11:33 am

• reading now

#102: Comment by bssn — July 13, 2006 @ 3:46 am

• [...] Official Comments [...]

#103: Pingback by Fator W » Wordpress 2.0 e os plugins da nova versão do Fator W — July 18, 2006 @ 2:44 am

• this is hawt. ima use it!!

#104: Comment by Jenny — July 24, 2006 @ 4:28 pm

• “>

#105: Comment by hm — July 27, 2006 @ 2:23 am

• I just want to say thanks for this plugin, it’s working ok in my blog site, thank you man.

#106: Comment by angelux — July 27, 2006 @ 8:26 am

• [...] Official Comments [...]

#107: Pingback by kristjans.net - DIN guide til Kristian Alstad » Arkiv » Om siden min — July 29, 2006 @ 10:59 am

• [...] For those of us who remember the original comment-spoofing-identity-crisis that started the whole problem, you can thank Indi for hitting me over the head with a simple fix: the Official Comments plugin. All of you who have already registered for accounts on Moju now get a spiffy light-purple box and a notice that says “Registered Commenter” whenever you comment. Un-registered commenters using the names of registered commenters may be considered devious and possibly untrustworthy human beings, and the rest of us can ignore them, or whatever. See the comments on this post for examples of registered and non-registered comments. And of course, everyone who’s registered for commenting can also write for Moju. [...]

#108: Pingback by Moju Reopens Comments « Moju — August 14, 2006 @ 6:52 pm

• [...] Rounded blue editon now support the Brett Taylor’s official comments plugin. From the author : “If you are logged into your WordPress admin panel, and you make a comment, the plugin will see that you are an official WP user of your blog and mark the comment with your WP User ID.” Filed under : Rounded V2 blue editionBy Ghyslain On August 15, 2006 At 9:59 pm Comments :   [...]

#109: Pingback by Wordpress themes » Comments list and official comments plugin support — August 16, 2006 @ 8:00 am

• [...] Official Comments [...]

#110: Pingback by Contraditorium » Os Plugins Secretos do Contraditorium — August 19, 2006 @ 5:35 am

• Salut

#111: Comment by salut — August 24, 2006 @ 1:26 am

• Brett there’s a way to make apply to admin and users?

If is admin, echo .commentAdmin
    or if is a member, echo .commentMember

I’m not good on PHP if you could help me.. thanks alottt

#112: Comment by Chris Mise — August 29, 2006 @ 1:49 pm

• Hi Chris,

No, not easily. It would involve another set of functions:

If official user, then find out what their user level is.
    … If admin, echo .commentAdmin
    … else echo .commentMember
    else echo .commentAnonymous

I could probably add this into the plugin pretty easily, really.

#113: Comment by Brett — August 29, 2006 @ 4:07 pm

• Brett

Could you make this code, please? I would take some years to make it.
    But i will learn PHP and make a plugin nice like yours someday. ^_^

and thanks for answering me so quickly.

#114: Comment by Chris Mise — August 31, 2006 @ 1:08 am

• [...] After installing Official Comment to this blog, I found a way to make the Official Comment to have an alternating effect much like the default comment list. It is simple and it occur when you place the tag next to the alternating tag. For example, this is what I’m using. [...]

#115: Pingback by Nuwen.Com » Alternating Official Comment — September 22, 2006 @ 5:50 am

• [...] Functionally, the site runs on the open source wordpress blogging cms. In addition, I’ve also added the official comments plugin and the random quotes plugin. The wordpress implementation is fairly straightforward, two exceptions being custom page templates for each section and some header tweaking to produce the navigation visual elements. [...]

#116: Pingback by w w w . s c o t t l e n g e r . c o m | b l o g ? » www.rickwhiteheadguitar.com — September 28, 2006 @ 3:56 pm

• Hi Brett,

I would really like to apply the different style only for users with a level above Subscriber (the smallest possible registered user). If the user is just registered, I wouldn’t want their comments to be applied as official comments.

Can you help me do that, please?

Thanks a lot for the great plugin.

#117: Comment by Rafael Fischmann — October 8, 2006 @ 3:04 am

• Hello. As you may see on my blog, I have quite well implemented your plugin except that I have that point (I don’t know the word in english : the point due to “li”) at the beginning of each comment… I trie to implement your plugin with ul or ol instead of li, but the result is not satisfying.

Do you have any idea for me ? Or is it only a theme issue ?

And… Thank you for your work.

#118: Comment by koz — October 11, 2006 @ 2:28 am

• [...] If you are using the Official Comments plugin with a recent WordPress version, you might be getting Database errors when you post a comment on your own blog. To fix these, open the official-comments.php file and change: [...]

#119: Pingback by moeffju.net » WordPress Official Comments — November 7, 2006 @ 1:42 am

• Hello there!

I was wondering how I can change this:

Under every of my comments it says “Official!”. Can I delete this somehow?

Thanks,
    Phillip

#120: Comment by Phillip — November 7, 2006 @ 3:22 am

• [...] Official Comments – Hinterlegt einen Kommentar vom Blog Autor in einer anderen Farbe. [...]

#121: Pingback by SEO Marketing » Top 20 Wordpress Plugins — November 9, 2006 @ 10:08 pm

#122: Comment by rtjedytk — November 16, 2006 @ 10:13 pm

• Does anyone know the name of the wordpress plugin that creates a list of your posts in a category instead of just displaying them one after the other? I want it so that when someone clicks on a category they just get a list of posts from that category.

I'm sure Ive seen one…and sifting through the WP site is a nightmare

#123: Comment by Randy — November 18, 2006 @ 4:38 am

• I have used your plugin, thanks its great Brett (:

#124: Comment by Roman — November 20, 2006 @ 10:25 am

• nice site

giuseppe

#125: Comment by giuseppe — November 24, 2006 @ 11:56 pm

• carino il blog
    complimenti

giuseppe

#126: Comment by giuseppe — November 25, 2006 @ 12:16 am

• yes i’m using it too great thing! thanks!

#127: Comment by praca — November 27, 2006 @ 7:00 pm

• good

#128: Comment by mariya — November 27, 2006 @ 8:06 pm

• A great plugin! I got the plugin working but it’s not displaying my edited CSS! This is what I put in my comments.php file:

echo " ";

border: 1px solid black;
    background-color: #999999;
    padding-right: 3px;
    }

Any thoughts?

#130: Comment by Saman Sadeghi — November 28, 2006 @ 7:32 am

• Um. 0.8 with NOTHING in front of it? No 1, no 2? Well…. head over here: http://static.wordpress.org/archive/ and download versions 1.2, 1.5, 2.0, and the current 2.0.5 – and then upgrade first to 1.2, make sure it’s working right; then to 1.5, make sure it’s working right (your template won’t – the whole setup changed at 1.5 to a themed setup, with a completely different schema – just change to the default or classic at that point); then to 2.0, then to 2.0.5.

And good luck by Labus

#131: Comment by Labus — November 30, 2006 @ 8:30 am

• Keep up the good work. Greetings

#132: Comment by Pozycjonowanie — December 3, 2006 @ 12:00 am

#133: Comment by admin www.reality-eu.com — December 3, 2006 @ 8:29 am

• #1 Alternative to AdSenseTM!

#1 Alternative To Affiliate Marketing!

Add The Highest Paying Pay-Per-Lead Ads Targeting
    Your Niche To Your Website and blog… In Minutes!

Big companies are already paying people like you large sums of CA$H for sending them visitors to get free stuff!

Checks, Checks and More Checks Stuffed In Your Mailbox!

Imagine yourself OPENING YOUR MAILBOX every single month and finding it stuffed with envelopes full of $500… $1000… Even $5000 Checks!

Introducing Pay-Per-Lead Power Ads Software Systemâ„¢!

Pay-Per-Lead Power Ads Systemâ„¢ is the Quickest and Easiest Solution for: (1) Finding the highest paying Pay-Per-Lead products, (2) Creating, (3) Managing and (4) Maximizing your revenues from Pay-Per-Lead Ads!

Three Powerful Software Solutions In One:

#1 Pay-Per-Lead Research Center:
    Search for and find the highest paying Pay-Per-Lead niche products and offers, quickly and easily!
    #2 Pay-Per-Lead Ad-Units Creator:
    Create Google-like Ad Units (like AdSense ads) for Pay-Per-Lead niche products and offers.
    #3 Pay-Per-Lead Keyword Ads Generator:
    Create contextually relevant keyword ads for your Pay-Per-Lead niche offers, like THIS.

Click Here To Sign Up Now!

No software to download, upload, install, update.

Manage everything from an easy browser interface. Complete, 24/7 control over your own account, via an online control panel.

Add The Highest Paying Niche Pay-Per-Lead Ads To Your Website(s) and blog(s)… In Minutes!

Click here to get started with Pay-Per-Lead Power Ads Systemâ„¢ 100% Risk Free!

This letter is going to show you how you could do that, and maximize your website’s money-making power, quickly and easily… Guaranteed!

You’ll learn:

1. What is Pay-Per-Lead, and why it is so profitable!
    2. In What Ways Is Pay-Per-Lead Better Than Pay Per Click & Pay Per Sale (Affiliate Sales)?
    3. AdSense Is Alive/Dead – The one thing you can learn from this raging debate.
    4. Start Generating Pay-Per-Lead Profits Today! We’ll show you how to find the highest paying Pay-Per-Lead products quickly and easily, then how to generate Pay-Per-Lead ads and add them to your website/blog in minutes.

You could start cashing in on Pay-Per-Lead marketing and generating Pay-Per-Lead profits in the next few hours!

#134: Comment by fcedano — December 3, 2006 @ 1:52 pm

• http://www.secundus.org/online/ppllead.html – Хрень какая-то!

#135: Comment by Linnik — December 5, 2006 @ 4:55 am

• Someone else below asked this already.
    I am getting nailed with Spam in my website for our blog website. Is there anyway to stop this? If not, there really isn’t any point in leaving it up and active. Any help will be greatly appreciated. http://www.profesjonalna-reklama.pl

Thanks Keep up the good work. Greetings from Poland

#136: Comment by Pozycjonowanie — December 10, 2006 @ 1:51 am

#137: Comment by eMule — December 10, 2006 @ 9:10 am

• Just wondering if there was a way to specify a generic image for non-registered users/commenters?

#138: Comment by Linnik — December 10, 2006 @ 10:29 am

• nice site:thank you for all

#139: Comment by buy phentermine online cheap — December 12, 2006 @ 1:16 am

• What I want to do on my blog, is every few hours take the oldest post and move it to the
    front of the queue, all automatically. Anyone know if there is a plugin that can do this or
    a simple way to set up another plugin to do this (use my own feed perhaps)?
    Thanks.

#140: Comment by Chris — December 13, 2006 @ 8:47 am

• yes i agree with you great site

#141: Comment by ogÅ‚oszenia — December 16, 2006 @ 7:11 am

• Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#142: Comment by BUses — December 16, 2006 @ 2:08 pm

• I saw several people make a feature request of ensuring the user’s level is above subscriber before applying the official code to the comment. However, I don’t see those changes in the code nor do I see the proper code posted here. Did you ever get around to that, Brett?

#143: Comment by Cpl M — December 17, 2006 @ 2:10 pm

• [...] Official Comments: Permite distinguir los comentarios escritos por usuarios registrados en la bitácora. Además, los comentarios de estos usuarios serán aprovados automaticamente. [...]

#144: Pingback by Los Blog’s de la pagina de UiDoS » Plugins para WordPress — December 24, 2006 @ 3:34 am

• Personally, I think, that the presented command:”" id=”comment-&lt?php comment_ID() ?>”>” should be modified as follows: ” id=”comment-&lt?php comment_ID() ?>>>”>. I have personally tested this modification and am surprised by its stunning effectiveness.

#145: Comment by ksiÄ™gowy — December 25, 2006 @ 12:19 am

• Very good plugin and very good site.

#146: Comment by Smieszne filmy — December 27, 2006 @ 10:21 pm

• [...] I decided that on my main site that I wanted the comments I made to appear different than the others (after all, why not inflate that ego?). I wrote a tutorial on integrating the Official Comments plugin with the Glued Ideas theme. [...]

#147: Pingback by Siolon › Using the Official Comments Plugin — December 29, 2006 @ 5:21 am

• You have very good article, I see
    pink im not dead

#148: Comment by pink mp3 — December 30, 2006 @ 1:30 pm

• This is my favourite plugin

#149: Comment by bf2142 demo — December 30, 2006 @ 1:41 pm

• Hey, this is looks great :)

#150: Comment by gwiazdy telewizji — December 30, 2006 @ 1:43 pm

• Great and excellent article t’s realy helpful. Thanks again.

#151: Comment by Swetlana Maßat — January 1, 2007 @ 11:39 pm

• ################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

test

#152: Comment by asdsad — January 2, 2007 @ 11:03 am

• Force Word Wrapping (http://www.frostjedi.com/terra/scripts/wp/wrap.zip)

Prevents long sentancesconstructedlikethis from horizontally stretching the page.

http://www.danosse.com :D

#153: Comment by asdsad — January 2, 2007 @ 11:51 am

• [...] Official Comments:   Hinterlegt die Kommentare des Autors mit einer anderen Farbe. [...]

#154: Pingback by Nivu » Blog Archive » Top 10 Wordpress Plugins — January 3, 2007 @ 8:40 am

• [...] Official Comments: Hinterlegt die Kommentare des Autors mit einer anderen Farbe. [...]

#155: Pingback by Nivu.de » Blog Archive » Top 10 Wordpress Plugins — January 4, 2007 @ 3:06 am

#156: Pingback by Top 10 Wordpress Plugins — January 6, 2007 @ 7:16 am

• I am not a spammer just have a curious mind and like the engage others on similar topics.

#157: Comment by site ekle — January 9, 2007 @ 3:51 am

• 我公司是一家专门提供程控电话交换机批发、零售、安装、调试、维护、维修的专业设备供应商和服务商。
    并与国内外多家知名厂商建及电信运营商立了良好的合作关系, 公司一直致力于向客户提供最经济实用的语音、数据通讯解决方案。

#158: Comment by 程控电话交换机 — January 10, 2007 @ 9:52 pm

• cool site

#159: Comment by lf2 — January 11, 2007 @ 11:48 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.